This study focuses on a mode of relating termed “vampire coupling,” characterized by a passive-aggressive, aggressive-passive struggle in which each member of a couple frustrate each other’s oral needs for nurturing. It also looks at the vampire myth, linking it to the fantasies of dysfunctional passive-aggressive males.
Download Author: Schoenewolf, Gerald Ph.D.
Child of the Full Moon
Should a therapist make a house visit, or does this change the therapeutic framework in such a way as to make it unworkable or unethical? This paper describes such a visit and the use of a therapeutic joining technique in order to break an impasse, which eventually revealed the lies that lurked under a family’s dysfunction.
Dealing with Character, Sex, and Race in Psychotherapy
This paper looks at the complexity of issues that required analyzing when a Black female patient entered treatment with a White male psychoanalyst. Before the father or mother transferences could be dealt with and traced to their sources in childhood traumas, the cultural transference had to be resolved. In particular, the therapist had to confront the patient’s ambivalent feelings about him as White and male, as well as understand and resolve his own cultural countertransference.
The Scapegoat and the Holy Cow in Group Therapy
Both unhappy families and unhappy groups tend to have scapegoats and holy cows, members who are devalued and on whom everything is blamed, and members who are idealized and to whom all credit is given. This paper looks at the etiology of scapegoats and holy cows and how they may be approached in group therapy.
A healthy individual is an individual who has a strong ego that can mediate between the id and the superego.(363 pp.)
Principles of Psychoanalytic Centrism
With regard to psychoanalytic research, the centrist leads toward a neutral and unbiased view.
The Death Trauma and its Consequences
The death trauma refers to a human being’s first awareness that he or she has to die.
A Viable Theory of Female Development
This paper reexamines Freud’s theories and the views of his critics, primarily feminists, and attempts to point the way to a viable theory of female development.
Gender Narcissism and Its Manifestations
Gender narcissism develops in reaction to feelings of inferiority about one’s gender and might be defined as excessive love or concern for one’s gender, one’s genitals, or one’s gender identity, and negative feeling about the opposite sex—generally involving fear, disgust, resentment or competitiveness.
Perverse Sexuality and Perverse Mothering
After a lifetime of research, this author concludes that male sexual perversity occurs in direct proportion to perverse mothering, a kind of mothering in which a boy’s normal masculine pride and activity is demeaned and threatened, leading to a perverse response.
Free Book Categories
- All Books (1,911)
- Anxiety Disorders (41)
- Behavior Therapy (47)
- Borderline Syndromes (38)
- Brief Therapy (27)
- Chapter eBooks (1,704)
- Child Therapy (95)
- Coming Soon (0)
- Couple Therapy (38)
- Crisis (77)
- Depression (66)
- Eating Disorders (17)
- Family Therapy (68)
- Group Therapy (52)
- Mood Disorder (60)
- New Original Works (46)
- Object Relations (49)
- Psychiatry (73)
- Psychoanalysis (104)
- Psychosomatic (34)
- Psychotherapy (116)
- Psychotherapy and Fiction (61)
- Recently Added (21)
- Schizophrenia (33)
- Sex Therapy (41)
- Substance Abuse (38)
- Suicide (13)
- Supervision (34)
View By Author
- Prudence on Grief Counseling: The Companioning Model: “Thank you for this information around grief counseling . I am excited to utilize this information within my practice .…”
- Stephen Smith on A Psychoanalytic Process from Beginning to Termination: “Thank you for your generosity and openness in sharing these resources. It is already helping me to offer a better…”
- bett reagan on Structural Family Therapy: “it has given me more information on my research”
- Lavona on Enrique Pichon Rivière: Pioneer of the Link: “Thank you. I needed this text for a community social psychology course. The facilitator uses Pichon Riviera’s theory of the…”
- Daniel on Principles of Behavior Modification: “Highly informative and practical”
- Fortunate Karungi on Cognitive and Behavioral Theories of Depression: “i have been able to access a wide range of psychology books without paying a penny which is not the…”